Social Media Policy
*Please note: usage of our social media sites (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) site denotes review of and agreement to the usage and commenting policy as follows:
The Town of Oak Island welcomes comments to its social media pages, with the purpose of presenting matters of public interest to Oak Island’s residents, property owners, businesses and visitors. You may submit questions and comments about the items posted, but please note that this is a moderated site meant for information, and not a public forum. Please note that all communications via this site, whether by a Town employee or the general public, are considered public record and may be subject to monitoring and disclosure to third parties.
Service requests and similar items should go through the appropriate department; to find out more information about Town departments, including contact information, please visit www.oakislandnc.com
. While this social media site is monitored, requests for emergency service or immediate response should not be made through social media. In the event of an emergency, please call 911.
The Town of Oak Island reserves the right to delete comments/check-ins that:
● include vulgar or profane language or content;
● include personal attacks of any kind, or offensive comments targeting or disparaging any person or group, including but not limited to attacks on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
● constitute spam, including links to other sites, or that promote particular services, products or political organizations;
● are clearly off-topic;
● advocate illegal activity;
● infringe on copyrights or trademarks;
● may compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
● use personally-identifiable medical information or any information protected by law
● include personal identifying information such as home addresses, phone numbers, or personal email addresses.
Violations of the Social Media Commenting Policy may result in the offending user being banned from use of Town of Oak Island social media sites at any time and without prior notice. Usage of the Town’s social media sites denotes review of and agreement to this policy.
Please note that the comments expressed on these sites do not necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of the Town of Oak Island government or its officers and employees. If you have questions concerning the operation of this moderated informational site, please contact the Town Clerk at (910) 201-8004 or email@example.com