- Home >
- Bridge Info
Oak Island Bridges Closure and Opening
- The Oak Island Police Department will control access to the G.V. Barbee Bridge (east end) and Swains Cut Bridge (at Middleton). The Towns of Oak Island and Caswell Beach will jointly decide when the bridges should be closed and re-opened.
- Time of bridge closing and re-opening will be publicized in the same manner as the evacuation information (local radio and TV stations, other local media, Oak Island’s TV Station on Cable Channel 8 and this website).
- The bridges will close to all traffic when high winds (40 mph sustained) and heavy rain make travel dangerous.
- Once closed, the bridges will not re-open until the storm has passed and a safety assessment has been conducted. Only properly identified emergency personnel will be allowed access to the island until the bridges are open to the public.
- If there is severe damage on Oak Island, re-entry may be strictly limited. Click here to see the Hurricane Re-entry Plan.
Emergency information will also be updated on a message at (910) 201-8088 as needed and as Town staff is able, given the current conditions.