After the Storm
- Listen to the local radio and TV stations to learn when you can return to the island. Call (910) 201-8088 to hear a message from the Town regarding an emergency. Please understand that this message, Channel 8 and the website, will be updated as conditions allow. If there is no electricity, Town staff may not be able to update its electronic communications.
- When the safety assessment is complete, Caswell Beach and Oak Island personnel will determine when to open the bridges.
- Remain calm and remember that reports of damage are often exaggerated.
- If there is severe damage, the bridges may be open to residents only and parts of the island may not be accessible. Every effort will be made to allow you to return AS SOON AS IT IS SAFE TO DO SO. If access is being limited, you will need proof of residency (such as a valid driver’s license) or proof of property ownership (such a recent tax or utility bill).
- Assess your damages, throw out spoiled food and begin to clean up property. Place storm debris on the right-of-way in front of your house.
- Please be patient! Electricity, telephone and cable services will be restored as soon as possible. Please consider assisting your neighbors with their clean up or sign up at Town Hall to assist elderly and handicapped residents.
- Continue to listen to the radio and TV for current information on emergency services and assistance that may be available.