- Home >
- Residential Trash, Recycling and Town Dump Guidelines
Residential Trash, Recycling and Town Dump Guidelines
The Town provides for the collection of residential trash, recyclables, and yard debris. Guidelines for the collection of these items are outlined below. Your garbage schedule is posted online at our website here. If you have questions, please contact Public Works at (910) 201-8083.
Residential Garbage Collection Guidelines
Waste Industries, Inc. is contracted to provide residential refuse collection. The basic collection program includes collection of one authorized residential container (polycart) weekly. Residents must place the polycarts in the right-of-way, approximately five feet from the edge of the pavement at the beginning of the scheduled pickup day.
- To obtain a polycart for a new residence or replace a missing polycart, contact Brunswick County Solid Waste Department at (910) 253-2520.
- To obtain an additional garbage or recycle polycart, contact Public Works at (910) 201-8083
- Waste Industries only collects from authorized polycarts.
Safe Disposal of “Sharps”
Household generated “sharps” include hypodermic needles, syringes, and lancets. Managing and disposing of household generated sharps safely reduces pollution to the environment and prevents injury and disease transmission from needle-sticks. Please use an empty rigid plastic consumer product container with a screw-on lid, such as a laundry detergent bottle, plastic peanut butter jars, etc. Avoid thin plastics and do not use glass containers as these can break and cause a greater hazard. Always place needles in a puncture-resistant container with a tight lid before disposal.
Residential Recycling Collection Guidelines
Please Note: Waste Industries will collect recyclables from authorized recycling containers every two weeks on the same day as garbage collection. Recyclable items include glass bottles (all colors), all types of plastic, aluminum and steel cans, newspapers, small amounts of corrugated cardboard, and all types of magazines and advertising flyers. Bottles, cans and other containers should be rinsed out to prevent attracting insects or rodents. Your recyclables collection schedule is posted online at www.oakislandnc.com/ or you may contact Public Works at 910-201-8083.
Residential Rental Property Requirements
Residential rental properties (e.g., weekly rentals) located in certain areas are required to provide additional refuse and recycle polycarts (90 gallons). Additional carts are based on the number of bedrooms. For a schedule of required polycarts based on the # of bedrooms, please contact Public Works at 910-201-8083.
Yard Debris Collection Schedule
NOTICE: PLEASE NOTE THERE HAVE BEEN CHANGES IN YARD DEBRIS SERVICE:
Due to residential growth, beginning June 1, 2019 – The Town will remove yard debris based on the below schedule:
Yard Debris Zone 1 – Middleton Street to the West end (including beachfront areas) – Collected the FIRST & SECOND full weeks of the months of January, March, May, July, September & November.
Yard Debris Zone 2 – from NE/SE 40th Street to NE/SE 1st Street (including beachfront areas) – Collected the THIRD & FOURTH full weeks of the months of January, March, May, July, September & November.
Yard Debris Zone 3 – from NE/SE 79th Street to NE/SE 41st Street (including beachfront areas) – Collected the FIRST & SECOND full weeks of the months of February, April, June, August, October & December.
Yard Debris Zone 4 – from NE/SE Crowell Street to Yaupon Way and all mainland areas within Town limits (including beachfront areas) – Collected the THIRD & FOURTH full weeks of the months of February, April, June, August, October & December.
REMINDER – This service is not for disposal of Brown or White goods or any other bulk household trash items – this service is for yard debris only.
The Town will collect yard debris, including leaves, brush and limbs no greater than six (6) inches in diameter, on a regular monthly schedule. The Town will only collect yard debris from normal yard maintenance, not debris from clearing of undeveloped lots or major landscaping projects. The Town will not collect debris placed in front of or on a vacant lot.
- Yard debris must be placed in the right-of-way, free from obstructions such as mailboxes, signs, or limbs, at the beginning of the scheduled collection Once Town collection trucks pass through an area, they will not return until the next cycle.
- Place leaves and grass in one DO NOT BAG LEAVES OR GRASS.
- Brush and limbs no greater than six (6) inches in diameter must be in a separate manageable
- Do not mix any other trash or materials with your yard The Town will not collect yard debris in bags or mixed piles.
- Yard debris must be placed on the right-of-way in front of your residence, not an adjacent lot
- Debris pickup is not provided for landscaping companies or tree services.
- The Town will not collect yard debris generated by lot clearing, demolition or new construction.
Convenience Site / Dump — 4110 Airport Road
The Public Works Department operates a Convenience Site / Dump at 4110 Airport Road. The site is available to all Town residents and owners of non-commercial property in Town for free disposal of Brown and White Goods (ID is required). In addition, mulch will be available at no charge. If you have questions or need additional information, please call (910) 201-8083.
Hours of operation:
- Wednesdays — 1-4:30 p.m.
- Fridays — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- the first Saturday of the month — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Eligible items for disposal include:
Brown Goods: discarded furniture, mattresses, box springs, and carpet.
White Goods: discarded refrigerators, ranges, washing machines, dryers, freezers, air conditioners, water heaters and dishwashers.
Electronics: TVs, computers, DVD players, VCRs, printers & monitors.
Other options available to property owners for disposal of bulky items include:
- Donating usable furniture items and working appliances to a charitable Habitat for Humanity (910-454-0007or 457-1772) will pick up usable donated items. Check local phone directory for other charitable organizations.
- Brunswick County Southport Convenient Site 8392 River Road E., (910) 457-9484, Facility Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Brunswick County Landfill 172 Landfill Road NE (Off Galloway Rd.) Bolivia, NC 28422, (910) 253-8101, Facility Hours: Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Private Haulers (see yellow pages and/or State Port Pilot)
If you have questions or need additional information call Public Works at (910) 201-8083.
Owner Responsibility for Certain Materials
The following examples are representative, but not limited or exclusive, of the materials that the Town or Waste Industries will NOT collect. The owner of these items is responsible for proper disposal.
- Vehicles, boats or trailers or equipment designed to be self-propelled or towed
- Tires, lead-acid batteries, antifreeze or motor oil
- Any flammable, combustible, poisonous or explosive materials or containers (e.g., gasoline, antifreeze, solvents, liquid paint, pesticides, poisons, ).
- Construction, Demolition and Remodeling Debris (e.g., treated wood, sheetrock, doors, windows, siding, pipe, shingles and other residue from the renovation, repair, construction or demolition of buildings or their supporting structures such as sheds, fences
- Solid fill materials such as bricks, stones, concrete, soil, etc.
- Used Motor Oil can be recycled at auto parts stores or at the Brunswick County Landfill. Other oils must be recycled at the County landfill. Please click here for more information.