- Home >
- Development Services
The Oak Island Development line map is available to view on the towns website. It is an interactive map that shows the applicable ocean-front setback lines.
The Development Services Department is responsible for ensuring that all development, including residential and nonresidential, complies with the State Building Codes, CAMA requirements, FEMA requirements, fire codes, zoning and all other local ordinances. The Town adopted a new Unified Development Ordinance (which replaces most of Chapter 18, Land Use Development, in the Code of Ordinances). You can find the Town’s Comprehensive Land Use Plan here.
The Department handles the following functions for the community:
- Review, approve, and issue building, CAMA, and zoning permits.
- Provide inspections of all permits issued including maintenance of all files associated with the permits and permitting process.
- Provide Code Enforcement to enforce the requirements of the local Zoning Ordinances and other codes for the Town.
- Review and make recommendations for citizens’ requests and/or text amendments to the Zoning Ordinance.
- Manage the Hurricane Response Team, which serves to assess damage incurred by the Town following a hurricane. The Department then collates the data, analyzes the information, and creates a report for the Town and Federal Government agencies.
- Operate the Community Rating Service for the Town, which ensures that the Town complies with federal requirements for Hurricane and Flood Protection in order for the property owners to receive discounts on their insurance rates.
- Provide periodical articles and brochures concerning hurricane preparedness, building requirements, flood damage, and zoning requirements for the community.
- Work with Planning Board and Board of Adjustment.
Do you want to find out when building permits are required? Or what to do about water damage? Click here for details. Are you trying to find out what zoning district your property is in, and what kind of development is allowed on your property? Or what the regulations are for accessory structures and pool, or what setbacks apply to your property? Check out our FAQ for answers to these questions.
Help keep Oak Island clean – please check out this flyer to see what you can do. Refuse and trash are not allowed in the right-of-way and are not collected by the Town.