- Home >
What is the Oak Island Beach Preservation Society?
In 1997 the Town of Oak Island established a Beach Preservation Trust Fund that could be built over time through public contributions. This fund could serve as part of the local share of beach preservation projects. An Advisory Board oversees and helps build the Trust Fund, and coordinates the work of the Beach Preservation Society [BPS]. The Trust Fund Advisory Board is a committee of the Town of Oak Island.
The Oak Island Beach Preservation Society is a group dedicated and determined to help preserve the beaches on Oak Island. The Society includes a Trust Fund Advisory Board, a town committee appointed by Town Council. Together, we promote the restoration, maintenance and enjoyment of our public beaches by:
- Educating the public about protecting our beaches and dunes
- Cleaning and monitoring 67 beach accesses through Adopt-A-Beach Program
- Building bike racks and doggie-bag boxes for beach accesses
- Developing and distributing materials for the Beach Lovers education program
- Distributing seasonal newsletters to members, legislators and the public
- Coordinating volunteers to assist with beach cleanups and other service opportunities
- Participating in Oak Island events for public information about the beach
- Maintaining liaison with other active beach preservation groups
- Contributing funds to advocate for healthy beaches!
- Coordinating programs for young people and their families that visit or live on Oak Island
- Supporting the Beach Ambassador Program for clean and safe beaches
How can you get involved?
New members are always welcome — Click here to join or renew membership. The Beach Preservation Society stays involved in the Oak Island community year-round. The Society has its annual Wine Tasting fundraiser in the spring, has a booth some weeks at the Farmers Market, hosts educational programs, coordinates the local work of the International Coastal Cleanup, organizes programs for children and families and participates in community events. Check out some of our activities, and keep an eye out for where we’ll be next. Email us at beachOKI@outlook.com to see how you can get involved as a volunteer!