Wildlife Info

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
Gordon Myers, Executive Director

In an effort to help your office and the Commission provide customer service efficiently and effectively please share the following information when requests for assistance with wildlife are received.
For calls requesting assistance with wildlife:

  1. Rarely and only under the most extreme circumstances does the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission trap and relocate any nuisance wildlife.  For technical guidance and staff contact information to help individuals solve situations with wildlife causing a nuisance or wildlife causing property damage, go to  http://www.ncwildlife.org/HaveaProblem.aspx.
  2. For callers experiencing property damage from wildlife there are three basic options:
    1. Seek technical guidance on habitat modifications or other long term solutions to reduce wildlife being attracted to the property by going to http://www.ncwildlife.org/HaveaProblem.aspx.
    2. Request a depredation permit to trap the wildlife causing the damage call (919) 707-0050 and ask for district biologist contact information or call WRC Dispatch at (800) 662-7137.  The biologist and/or enforcement officer determines whether the situation warrants a permit.
    3. Hire a certified wildlife damage control agent (WDCA) who can help with habitat modifications and if a depredation permit is warranted can write the permit and trap the animal.   A WDCA cannot issue depredation permits for big game animals: deer, bear, wild turkey.  Contact information for WDCAs can be found at http://www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/WildlifeDamageControlAgent.aspx.   Search by county for certified WDCAs.   Wildlife damage control agents are certified by the Commission.   A WDCA agent must take a two-day training course and pass a test to become certified. WDCAs are in the wildlife damage control business and charge for their services.
  3. For nuisance wildlife such as a wild animal that is coming on caller’s property often, coming close to human dwellings and becoming use to being around humans go to http://www.ncwildlife.org/HaveaProblem.aspx for information on reducing human/wildlife conflicts and living with wildlife in an area.