- Home >
- Hurricane Irma update — keep watching and make your preparations
Hurricane Irma update — keep watching and make your preparations
We were on the conference call with Brunswick County today — here’s a summary and some additional information:
- The National Weather Service will have a better forecast for the track of the storm on Saturday.
- Please secure your house and belongings and make preparations to leave if that’s what you choose to do.
- The Town departments are going through our standard preparations.
- We could see between 4-7 inches of rain, so flash flooding will be a concern.
- We could feel some winds starting late Sunday night/early Monday morning.
- As a reminder, parking decals are for parking only and are not used for re-entry to the island following an evacuation. If a mandatory evacuation is ordered at any time, to get back on the island, you will need proof of residency, such as a driver’s license with an Oak Island address or a photo ID and a copy of a recent water bill, tax bill, electric bill, etc.
- The bridges will only be closed when weather conditions make it necessary, which is determined by Oak Island Police Department and in coordination with Caswell Beach. We would not close the bridges days ahead of the expected storm’s arrival. Information on bridge closings and re-openings will be sent to local media and will be posted on the Town’s website, wwww.oakislandnc.com and on our social media (Town of Oak Island on Facebook and @OakIsland_Town on Twitter).